What an amazing Saturday in Incline Village! The day started off with a bit of fall briskness in the air, but quickly heated up with gorgeous sunshine and smokin’ hot play.
During the morning, we had the Challengers (4.0+) and Rookies (2.5-3.0) divisions battle it out for court supremacy. Each team, within their division, faced off against the other teams in four games, one women’s doubles, one men’s doubles, and two mixed doubles games. In World Team Pickleball, everyone enjoys round-robin play, except its the cumulative number of wins that decides the winners.
After a great lunch and refreshments to welcome the morning’s players off the courts and the afternoon’s players before the embarked on an epic afternoon, it was time for the Experienced (3.5) division to fill Incline Village’s eight pickleball courts. And yes, I did say epic, as the competition was fierce for almost 4 hours straight.
A big kudos goes out to everyone that came up and either played or just supported their Tahoe Pickleballers. We had players from across the region, including Incline Village, Truckee, West Short, South Lake Tahoe, Reno, Fallon, and Sacremento.
With no further ado, here are your winners for the Incline Open World Team Pickleball Event 2018:
- Challengers (4.0+) – Becky Privitt, Brian Fairchild, Carol Amos, Myles Getto
- Experienced (3.5) – Greg Bashford, Richard Furtado, Rose Payne, Stephanie Wilhelm
- Rookies (2.5 – 3.0) – Willie Luntao, Erica Elliott, Mark Elliot, Sandy Genovese
Lastly, special thanks go out to
- Carol Amos for managing the entire tourney along with bringing team pickleball to Tahoe.
- CJ Johnson for hosting the tourney at Incline Village and bringing Pro Laura Fenton Kovanda out.
- Sandy Genovese and Reto Gross for being our pickleball warriors and playing ALL DAY.
Enjoy the photos below from the afternoon’s play. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to take pictures of the morning’s play as I was too busy mixing it up on the Challengers’ courts.