Do you find yourself in a bangers duel all too often? Well, it’s time to change things up and win with the soft game. All too often I will catch a player after a game where they get beat by a banger, and I ask “what happened to your soft game.” And all too often, their response is, “I know, I know, but they keep banging the ball at me. I don’t have a choice.”
Aha! The problem lies in the fact that they know no other way to handle a hard shot, but to fight force with more force. But wasn’t it Einstein that once said, “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.”
See the video below to see how to hit the reset shot, and enjoy the following benefits:
- Increase the likelihood of your ball clearing the net, always give yourself a chance to make your next shot an even better shot.
- Make your opposition uncomfortable by returning soft, bangers love nothing more than the chaos of speed.
- Give yourself time to move closer to the net.
- Give yourself a chance to get lucky, and hit that nice drop that your opposition has only two options, pop the ball up for you to finish, or hit it in the net.
- So as always, get your paddle ready, aim, and then fluff that ball with a reset shot.
Primetime Pickleball hosts Daniel Moore in the video below, and he does a great job of explaining the reset shot. Additionally, there is a great drill that recreates the exact situation we all find ourselves in, trying to get to the net against a banger.